I frequently use saved Remote Desktop connections (RDP) to manage our Windows servers. It can get confusing when you save a connection to open in Full Screen mode (plus, it can screw up icon placement on the console of the server if you run a different resolution on your workstation than on the server) so I typically save my RDP files to open a 1024 x 768 window. One of the problems I ran into is that some of my saved connections wouldn’t immediately open in a maximized window state so I would have to either click the maximize button or scroll the window to see the entire desktop. However, some of my connections did open up maximized. This puzzled me.
I went through all of the settings on the Display tab, comparing one that opened maximized and one that didn’t, and they appeared to be identical. I started changing things trying to nudge it, but nothing I did made any difference.
So then I started examining the files in a text editor and found the fix. You have to edit the RDP file by hand, but make sure you use a text editor that will not munge the two-byte Unicode header (0xFF 0xFE) at the beginning of the file, or it will turn into an invalid RDP file. Open the saved connection and find the line that references the winposstr and make sure the second digit is a 3. So, for example, if the line looks like this:
Change the 1 to a 3 like this:
Here is a visual showing the difference between the two window states: