Simmons Consulting, the Website of Toby Simmons

Moving Weekend at the Office


It was quite an eventful Saturday night/Sunday morning at the office this weekend. We moved about 50 servers on four racks to a new location (we are expanding) in order to make room for some new gear we have purchased. In fact, it’s been quite a productive weekend.

This is all in spite of the fact that I caught a cold on Thursday and have been feeling really rotten since then. I am beginning to think that I am never going to be well again, what with the vertigo thing that had been going on since early May (but I think is much better now … it’s hard to tell since I now feeling kind of foggy headed from the sinus infection I have) — but I am trying to be hopeful.

When Penny picked me up Friday from the office (she needed the car that day) we went to the tractor supply store to get some parts for our tractor, which has been needing some service. I was basically feeling like I was going to die while we were there. The lady at the store even asked me as I was rattling off the parts we needed, "You want some cold medicine with that?"

By the time we got home, I pretty much did nothing but rested.

We got up early Saturday and I didn’t feel very good but I was desperate to get something productive done. So I started working on the tractor and managed to get the engine oil and filter changed, the fuel filter replaced, replaced the hydraulic oil filter and changed the air filter. Also cleaned and re-greased most of the joints, then service the bush hog to boot!

Then, Saturday night I left for the office around midnight, hoping the paper would be turned by 12:30 a.m. (Sunday morning) which would be when we could starting taking servers down and moving them. It turns out someone in the newsroom made a fairly significant snafu and we had to wait until around 1:30 a.m. to even get started taking everything down.

We started with the web rack that contains mostly Internet-related gear. Then we moved onto the next rack with the classified advertising servers and related equipment. Next was the editorial stuff, then finally the rack for ad production. It ended up taking us until around 7:30 a.m. and by the end, I was really whipped. I got home around 8 a.m. and decided to try to get a little bit of a nap around 9 a.m. I laid down and ended up sleeping until around 1 p.m.

The sinus infection was really taking a toll on me, left me with a whopper of a headache. Took some Tylenol, Benadryl and got something to eat. I started to feel a little bit better, so I went outside and did a little piddling in the yard.

It rained most of the day today, so I didn’t really do much but it has been pretty nice just relaxing today.

Now, if I can just kick this cold …

Comments are closed.